RUSSIAN CHURCH: building of the Cathedral
As a consequence of the important Russian community living in Nice during the 2nd part of the 20th century, it was decided to build a Russian church. The Tsarina Alexandra Fedorovna started a subscription in 1856 and the church Saint-Nicolas-et-Sainte-Alexandra was inaugurated 3 years later, on Longchamp Street. It is then the 1st Russian Church in Western Europe. But soon it is too small as the Russian community expended.
In 1865, the tsar Nicolas Alexandrovitch, son of Alexander the 2nd, died at the age of 20 because of meningitis as he was staying at the Villa Bermond, rented out by his father. Shortly after this, the later bought the Villa and built instead of the villa a chapel in honor of his son, following the plans of the architect David Grimm.
In 1903, close to the oratory, the work for the building of the cathedral started, the future Saint Nicolas Cathedral, following the plans of the architect Mikhaïl Préobrajenski,, professor of architecture at the Imperial Academy of Arts in Saint Peterburg. It was inaugurated in 1912.
Est. 1980, EXPERT ADVICE.
Sales and rentals, Parc Impérial district.